I was raised to be honest. I have no tolerance for the weak logic, the bullying, and the whataboutism of Kentucky’s GOP supermajority.
I will always vocally oppose passing bills by ambush in the GA. The recent passing of SB151 was a lot of terrible things, but it was a great example of what not to do as a legislator. The bill that eliminates pensions and the inviolable contract for new hires was passed in a way that I will never support. The bill does affect current state workers in a variety of ways, and the fact that our GOP representatives are lying about that is just shameless.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Sunshine laws protect the public by giving all the people the opportunity to see what the legislature is doing. Not only did the Kentucky House ram its unconstitutional legislation through in 9 hours on March 29, 2018, it voted down Democratic Representative James Kay’s amendment creating more public oversight of the bill.
Kentucky’s public employees deserve more. The argument that “democrats did it in the past” is a terrible argument. It is our responsibility to create an honest, functional government in the future, regardless of what has happened in the past. I see my legislators argue that their bills which strip rights from the people are valid merely because they can get away with it.
Any legislator who believes this must be voted out of the General Assembly, as a warning to those who might appeal to the worst instincts of our people.
If I am elected into the Kentucky Legislature to represent District 33, I will fight for:
- Living wages and safe working conditions for all of Kentucky’s workers
- A well-funded system of public education from preschool through higher education
- Clean air and clean water
- Affordable, accessible health care, including continued support of Medicaid expansion
- Protection of privacy when making personal health choices
- Equal protection under the law for all Kentuckians
- Freedom and safety under the law to be who we are and love who we love
- Fair opportunities for families to earn and have a good quality of life
- Real family values—honesty, kindness, inclusiveness, sharing, patience.